This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
Update: Unfortunately this deal no longer appears to be available. Congrats to anyone who booked!
Travelers originating in NYC can currently find some fantastic fares to Europe on Star Alliance-partner TAP Portugal for travel dates starting in May. The airline has flights starting from $238 with great availability to a variety of European destinations, including Barcelona (BCN), Lisbon (LIS), Madrid (MAD), Porto (OPO) and more. If you’re traveling to Lisbon or Porto, you’ll even be able to find nonstop service, although travel to other cities will require a connection. Note that you may need to book directly on TAP’s site to find the deal if you don’t see availability on Google Flights.
Airline: TAP Portugal
Routes: JFK to BCN, LIS, MAD and more
Cost: $238-$343+ round-trip in economy
Dates: Spring 2016
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Search for your flight here:
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Barcelona (BCN) for $238 on TAP Portugal:
Newark (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) for $269 on TAP Portugal:
Newark (EWR) to Lisbon (LIS) for $317 on TAP Portugal:
Newark (EWR) to Porto (OPO) for $337 on TAP Portugal:
Newark (EWR) to Milan (MXP) for $342 on TAP Portugal:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Thrifty Traveler
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards