This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A few weeks ago, Icelandair announced its new stopover buddy service for passengers, a program that pairs guests with a local so you can get out and explore Iceland on your stopover before continuing on to your final destination. And who better to show you around than someone who lives there, right? Now KLM is following in Icelandair’s footsteps and announcing its own “Layover with a Local” service.
The program is very similar to Icelandair’s — the biggest difference being that KLM’s locals aren’t airline employees, whereas Icelandair’s buddies are. KLM’s service matches you with an Amsterdam local and pays for your train ride to the meeting place in the city center as well as the first round of drinks at a neighborhood bar.
In order to participate, you must be flying from the US, Canada or Italy between March 22 and May 31, 2016, and your layover must be at least six hours long. All planning is done through a convenient app.
Ultimately, this sounds like a great idea if you have a long layover in Amsterdam — or a good reason to go out of your way to book a long layover for future travel.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards