This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of my favorite things about being The Points Guy is the chance to help people go on amazing trips by using points and miles, whether they’re planning the ultimate round-the-world honeymoon or a life-changing trip to Africa. I also enjoy getting in on the action behind the scenes, learning how loyalty programs like Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) really work and figuring out how we can all use them to maximize travel benefits as much as possible.
Later this week, I’ll be attending a special forum in LA hosted by Marriott along with some of my blogger peers from both the points and general travel worlds. The forum will be led by moderator Jeff Fromm, a consumer trends expert and president at FutureCast, who is encouraging us all to jot down our best ideas for the making Marriott Rewards and SPG the perfect loyalty programs and how they would help make travel better. He shared a really cool idea I could totally get behind — linking technology to my personal calendar so I’d start getting suggestions for things to do in the area as soon as a meeting gets cancelled, or better yet, access to a guided tour that’s tailored to my interests because the program knows me that well.
I’ve got a few ideas to share at the forum but I’m curious to see what you think: What are your favorite features of the current Marriott Rewards and SPG loyalty programs that you don’t want to see changed once the merger takes place? Is there anything in either program that you dislike and would want to be done differently?
Please share your thoughts in the comments, below. I promise to do my best to represent my readers and your ideas and concerns at the forum this week. Together, maybe we can help Marriott and SPG loyalty programs of the future be better than ever.
- Earn 80,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus, earn 7,500 bonus points when you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Enjoy 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year after your account anniversary date!
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels
- 2 points per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, at car rental agencies & restaurants. Plus 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite Status. Receive 15 Elite Credits guaranteeing Silver Elite Status or better.
- All for an $85 Annual Fee