This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying, staying at hotels and spending money on your credit card aren’t the only ways to get more miles — many programs offer the chance to purchase points and miles outright directly from the brand itself. Hyatt recently made available a 30% bonus when you purchase 5,000 points or more at one time. The offer is available through March 7, and you’ll be able to purchase up to 71,500 points for $1,320. You can purchase a maximum of 55,000 points (excluding the bonus) per year.
Here’s how to take advantage of the promotion:
- Visit Hyatt’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your information, select how many points you want to buy or give and click Continue.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address, then press Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Continue.
Is this worth it?
Overall, you’ll be paying about 1.85 cents per point with this promotion (compared with the 2.4 cents per point you’d normally pay). TPG values Hyatt Gold Passport points at 1.8 cents per point, so you could nearly break even on this purchase — or even come out ahead if you have a particular redemption in mind.
Remember that you can earn more Hyatt points from a few different cards, such as the Hyatt Credit Card, which also gives you the chance to earn two free nights, or by transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards after earning points with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, among others.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards