This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The text below has been updated to reflect a cap of 25,000 bonus miles in Marriott’s terms and conditions.
Through March 31, 2016, you can earn a 25% bonus when you transfer Marriott Rewards points to United MileagePlus — this is on top of the regular 20% bonus you’ll receive when converting Marriott points into United miles, as part of the duo’s RewardsPlus partnership. This bonus is especially valuable when paired with Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages, including the recently discovered 5-night option, though when “purchasing” a package you’ll receive a 10% base bonus, rather than the usual 20%.
To maximize this promo, you’ll want to redeem 235,000 Marriott Rewards points for a 5-night stay at a Category 1-5 property plus 132,000 United miles. With an additional 25% bonus (capped at 25k miles), you’ll walk away with 155,000 United miles plus five nights in a Marriott hotel or resort — that’s enough for two one-way United BusinessFirst awards to Europe, and nearly enough for three!
That means for 235,000 Marriott points, you’ll have enough to fly you and a companion to Europe in business class and book a five-night stay at many Marriott properties, including a few options in cities like Paris, Rome or Tbilisi. While that may sound like a lot of Marriott points, you can earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months with the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card.
Assuming you’re able to find PointSavers availability for a Category 5 hotel, you’d normally need to redeem 80,000 points for a five-night award stay (100,000 points with regular availability). That means with this redemption, you’d be adding 155,000 points to get 155,000 United miles, which is a no-brainer considering TPG’s valuation of Marriott points (0.7 cents each) and United miles (1.5 cents each). If you’re short on Marriott points, it may even make sense to transfer Ultimate Rewards points, earned with a card like Chase Sapphire Preferred, which currently comes along with its own bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Will you be transferring Marriott points to United?
Enjoy 1 complimentary night stay at a category 1-5 location every year after your account anniversary date. You can earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points. Earn 5 points per $1 at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels, 2 points per $1 on airline tickets purchased directly with airlines, and 1 point per $1 on other purchases.
- Earn 80,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus, earn 7,500 bonus points when you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Enjoy 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year after your account anniversary date!
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels
- 2 points per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, at car rental agencies & restaurants. Plus 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite Status. Receive 15 Elite Credits guaranteeing Silver Elite Status or better.
- All for an $85 Annual Fee