This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of this morning, UberX is finally available at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Before this latest addition to the company’s reach in Southern California, riders would have to travel with Uber’s luxury service, UberBLACK, or with its less-popular competitor, Lyft, to get from the airport to their final destination. If you haven’t signed up for Uber, you can join here and get your first ride free (up to $15).
Nonetheless, with this latest news, Uber still isn’t completely in the clear — the low-cost UberPool service is still unavailable for pickup at LAX, and UberX drivers may have to pick up passengers at the departure level, rather than the usual meeting point for car services near baggage claim.
Moreover, Uber is tacking on a $4 surcharge to all LAX pickups, as well as $4 drop-off surcharge — higher-end Uber services, such as UberBLACK have only a $5 pickup surcharge and no drop-off surcharge. In spite of these extra fees, UberX is still pretty cheap in LA and is now a convenient option for getting to the airport.
Of course, you can save more on your next fare if you have a participating American Express card like the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, which currently offers a 2x bonus on Uber purchases.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees