This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
Uber’s made some big updates to its service over the past few weeks with the introduction of lower fares to a ton of cities across the US — and its latest change will be of particular interest to travelers in New York and New Jersey. The ride-sharing service announced this morning that it will be lowering fares by as much as 50% for travel from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to surrounding locales, including Midtown Manhattan, Jersey City and other destinations in the area.
Before the change, Uber estimated the cost of a fare from EWR to Midtown Manhattan to be roughly $83, but with the new prices, the cost estimate drops to just $44. Translation: Huge savings for passengers. Both of these sample fares also include the $20 surcharge for trips to New York City from EWR.
Of course, you can save even more if you have the Capital One Quicksilver Card, which will net you an extra 20% discount on all rides through April 30, 2016, or a participating American Express card like the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card, which currently offers a 2x bonus on Uber purchases.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees