This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The battle for the world’s longest flight continues this week with the latest announcement from Emirates. Beginning March 1, 2016, the airline will begin nonstop service between Dubai (DXB) and Auckland (AKL) on Emirates’ 777-200LR.
The flight’s eastbound service is expected to clock in at just under 16 hours, whereas flights headed from Auckland to Dubai will be about 17 hours and 15 minutes. While it hasn’t officially launched, the longest scheduled route was previously Emirates’ Dubai to Panama City flight at 8,588 miles, but this new Auckland service is a tad longer at 8,824 miles.
EK448 Dubai (DXB) 10:05am Departure ⇒ Auckland (AKL) 11am (+1) Arrival EK449 Auckland (AKL) 9:30pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 5:45am Arrival
The new route will be operated on Emirates’ three-cabin 777-200LR aircraft and joins other flights servicing New Zealand via Australia.
Overall, it seems that Emirates is continuing its spree toward a truly global airline with flights connecting the farthest parts of the world through its Dubai hub. Earlier this month, Qatar Airways hinted that it was working to launch a similar flight to Auckland from Doha — it’s unclear if that’ll ever come to fruition, but so far Emirates remains at the forefront of opening these new ultra-long routes around the world.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards