This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – British Airways Visa
If you’re a British Airways Visa Signature Card holder, you likely got an email yesterday with some welcome news: The card’s 10% discount on British Airways flights has been extended through 2016! Until this announcement, this discount only applied to flights departing before December 31, 2015.
- 10% off the entire purchase of British Airways flights
- Promotional website: www.ba.com/Chase10
- Promo code: CARDOFFERU
- Latest departure date: December 31, 2016
- All flights must be on British Airways marketed and operated flights (more about that later)
While this promotion is targeted at British Airways Visa Signature Card holders, there have been reports from readers that they’ve successfully applied this promo code to British Airways flight purchases using other Visa credit cards.
Why it’s a Good Deal
One great thing about this deal is that the discount is 10% off of the total ticket price, not just the base fare. This is particularly important on British Airways, as its known for its sky-high fuel surcharges.
Say you’re booking a $984 flight: $295 base fare, $516 carrier imposed charges and $173 taxes. The 10% discount applies to the entire $984 — not just the $295 base fare or even the $811 base fare + carrier imposed charges.
Bring your family and friends! The 10% off isn’t limited to just the British Airways Visa Signature cardholder’s ticket. The terms allow you to save 10% off of everyone’s ticket when you “book up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight.”
Finally, this promotion doesn’t require you to book a premium cabin. Any cabin will do:
- British Airways: World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (premium economy), Club World (business) and First Class
- OpenSkies: Eco (economy), Prem Plus (premium economy) and Biz Bed (business)
Make it a Really Good Deal
- AARP discount: This 10% discount is stackable with the AARP discount, which was recently extended to departures as late as March 31, 2017. If you’re a member of AARP (anyone can join for just $16 per year), you can save $65 off economy, $130 off premium economy and $400 off of business/first class.
- Transatlantic bonus: Book business-class tickets on British Airways for flights between now and the end of January and earn 25,000 Avios (or 25,000 AAdvantage miles) per roundtrip — up to 125,000 bonus Avios/AAdvantage miles
Limitations on Departure Airports
All flight segments must be on British Airways or OpenSkies metal, meaning that the plane needs to be operated by British Airways or OpenSkies. That means that you can’t fly any segments operated by American Airlines, Iberia, Finnair or any other partner.
Since you won’t be able to connect domestically, you’re limited to departing out of airports that British Airways/OpenSkies operate. Thankfully, the list is fairly long:
Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Charlotte (CLT), Chicago (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Denver (DEN), Detroit (DTW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New Orleans (MSY), New York City (JFK), Newark (EWR), Orlando (MCO), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX), Pittsburgh (PIT), San Diego (SAN), San Francisco (SFO), San Jose (SJC, beginning May 4, 2016), Seattle (SEA), Tampa (TPA) and Washington DC (IAD).
Reminder About Crediting Miles in 2016
If you’re planning to credit British Airways flights to American Airlines in 2016, remember that the earning rates have changed. Most economy fare classes will earn just 0.5 Elite-Qualifying Miles (EQM) per mile flown in 2016 vs. the 1.0 EQM per mile earning rate in 2015. In 2016, full-fare economy (classes Y and B) are the only economy flights that’ll earn 1.0 EQM per mile.
However, if you’re looking to book a premium cabin: first, business and premium economy all earn 1.5 EQM per mile when credited to American Airlines.
Don’t have a British Airways Visa Signature Card yet? Well, good news! You can earn a total of 100,000 bonus Avios. You’ll earn 50,000 for signing up and spending $2,000 in the first three months. Then, if you spend $10,000 in the first year you’ll earn another 25,000 bonus Avios. If your spending reaches $20,000 in the first year, you’ll earn another 25,000 bonus Avios, bringing your total to 100,000 Avios.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%-23.24% Variable||$95||0%||Excellent Credit|