This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amex’s purchase protection is one of its best card benefits. While lounge access or an annual airline credit might be a nice perk, purchase protection can be a huge benefit if things go awry. Beginning this Sunday, Amex is upping the Premier Rewards Gold card’s protection tenfold — increasing it from $1,000 to $10,000 per occurrence (warning: PDF link).
Although there are a few exceptions to the eligible claims, the program still covers many types of purchases. If you have an eligible item that has been damaged, lost or stolen, simply visit www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim or call 1-800-297-8019 within 90 days of your original purchase to get the coverage process started. Note, however, that the new coverage will only apply to purchases made on or after November 15. Purchases made before Sunday will only be covered up to $1,000 per occurrence.
The Premier Rewards Gold card isn’t the only Amex card that offers this service — Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve already have the $10,000 coverage limit, while the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex has a $1,000 protection policy. Keep in mind that these limits are per occurrence, although the cards do have a maximum payout for each calendar year. If you’re planning to charge a large purchase to your Premier Rewards Gold card and your item is covered, it may make sense to wait until Sunday to complete the transaction.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees