This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin America has made it quite easy for frequent flyers to earn status before the end-of-year deadline. In September, Amex and Virgin introduced a partnership that rewards Elevate Gold Status for transferring points, and now Virgin is offering double Elevate points on travel this fall, which count towards status.
Elevate members will have until November 19 to earn double Elevate points on travel with Virgin America. Usually Elevate points are earned at a rate of 5 points per dollar, so this promotion will net you 10 points per dollar, instead. Note that Virgin America prices award tickets based on the revenue ticket price, so redemption amounts can vary quite a bit between different flights.
Earning Silver or Gold status with Virgin requires 20,000 or 50,000 status points, respectively, although that’s not the only way to earn Elevate status. Amex is currently offering Gold status for transferring 80k MR points to the carrier and Virgin America also matches status with select airline programs, such as United MileagePlus and Delta SkyMiles. One of the best ways to earn Membership Rewards points is with the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card, which offer 3x points earned on travel booked directly with airlines.
While the promotion is available until November 19, you must register for the promotion through Virgin America’s website before your travel dates, otherwise you might not be eligible to earn the bonus.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees