This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Amex has confirmed that this is a new benefit of the Platinum card, not a limited-time offer. Primary card members can register here, while secondary members will need to call the number on the back of the card to receive the upgraded status.
Back in 2013, the Platinum Card from American Express was offering cardholders a limited-time benefit of automatic Hilton HHonors Gold Status. You had to register by the end of the year, and the status would be good through all of 2014.
Though Amex hasn’t announced anything publicly, it looks like the offer is back! I was logged into my Amex account last night to pay my Platinum Card bill, and happened to click on the Benefits tab of my account where one of the hotel benefits listed was automatic Hilton HHonors Gold status. Curious, I clicked on the Learn More button and was taken to this page.
Sure enough, I logged in with my Amex credentials, and was directed to a page where I just had to enter my HHonors number and click “Enroll.”
Theoretically, I should receive Gold status within 24 hours of enrollment. I do not have any additional cards under my account, but if I did, I could also enroll those by calling customer service. That was the case last time this offer came around when I was someone else’s additional cardholder and received my own HHonors Gold status.
My experience was corroborated with other cardholders on this FlyerTalk thread, and it appears I just coincidentally came across it when it went live today since I have not received any information from Amex about it.
While there was a set deadline to enroll last time, there isn’t one listed in the terms and conditions this time around. However, I would assume that you should enroll as soon as possible and that the status will be good through the end of 2016.
Gold Status normally requires 20 stays, 40 nights or earning 75,000 HHonors base points within a calendar year, and you receive the following elite perks:
- 25% bonus on all HHonors Base Points with every stay
- 5th night free on standard room rewards of five nights or more
- Complimentary in-room and lobby standard internet access during stays (not a big deal since Hilton offers free Wi-Fi to HHonors members anyway)
- Late and express check-out based on availability
- Complimentary Health Club access to hotel-owned and operated facilities
- Two complimentary bottles of water per stay
- At Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton and DoubleTree hotels, you also get space-available upgrades to preferred rooms, and 1,000 bonus HHonors points per stay or a complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. (Benefits vary at Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites and Home2Suites.
Hilton HHonors Gold status isn’t the most lucrative hotel status out there, it’s still a nice perk to receive as part of the suite of Platinum Card benefits, especially since the Platinum Card also confers automatic Starwood Gold status.
That said, I carry my Platinum Card for its other benefits, including airport lounge access, the annual $200 airline fee credit and more. If you’re just looking for Hilton elite status, you’re probably better off with one of the Hilton credit cards from Citi or Amex. The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card offers it as an automatic benefit at a much lower annual fee than the Platinum Card.
Still, if you have the Platinum Card or one of its versions, you might as well get in on this offer and enjoy the benefits when you stay at Hilton.
For more information on the card and its benefits, check out these posts:
- American Express Platinum Card Sign-Up Bonus Increased to 40,000 Points – Worth It?
- My Experience Getting Refunded for the Global Entry Application Fee With My Amex Platinum Card
- Is the Amex Platinum Worth the $450 Annual Fee?
- Maximizing the Amex Platinum $200 Annual Airline Rebate
- Using Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts to Save Big on Luxury Hotels
- Seriously, Get Global Entry – FAQ’s and How to Get it for Free
- Time to Join Global Entry, TSA PreCheck or CLEAR
- New American Express Platinum Card Benefits
- Is Amex Platinum Worth It If I’m Not Near Centurion Lounges?
- The Best American Express Membership Rewards Redemptions
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees