This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, Emirates is offering 50% off round-trip economy award tickets to a variety of destinations around the world. Award flights on Emirates to most of these destinations typically require up to 100,000 miles round-trip — with this promo, you’ll pay at most 50,000 miles.
However, keep in mind that these flights also have a varying surcharge on top of the mileage, so you could be paying $600 or more in addition to the redemption amount. With that said, many of these flights could easily exceed $1,500, so depending on the travel dates, this might still be a worthwhile offer.
Here are some potential round-trip redemptions:
New York (JFK) to Doha (DOH) for 37,500 miles + $663:
New York (JFK) to Hong Kong (HKG) for 47,500 miles + $767:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Dubai (DXB) for 41,250 miles + $567:
You can also fly Emirates’ fifth-freedom route from New York to Milan for just 22,500 miles (plus surcharges) round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for 22,500 miles + $638:
Keep in mind, however, that on some dates you won’t pay much more for a cash ticket. For example, below is a round-trip flight for $819. You’ll also earn miles on this flight:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $819:
With the example below, however, it definitely makes sense to redeem miles, instead:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $1,553:
Unfortunately, this deal doesn’t apply to premium-cabin tickets, such as business or first on Emirates’ A380, but there are still quite a few decent options, as long as you don’t mind forgoing the on-board shower.
To take advantage of the reduced rates, flights must be booked by October 19 and must be for travel dates in November. While there a ton of options that are discounted, be sure to check the full terms of the promo, as Emirates is not offering the lower rates on all routes. Additionally, if you’re short on miles, keep in mind that you can transfer Membership Rewards points earned with cards such as the Amex Premier Rewards Gold or Amex Platinum to Emirates.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees