This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
WOW air’s $99 one-way fares to Europe are back, from Boston giving you the chance to fly to Iceland and other destinations in Europe on the cheap. The budget airline has deals from Baltimore (BWI) and Boston (BOS) to Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) with one-way fares starting at $99.
Travel November 1 – December 15, 2015, January 10- March 10, 2016
While flights departing the US start at $99, the return flights are priced a bit higher, but I was able to price out BWI-Reykjavik for $234 total roundtrip and BOS-Reykjavik for $263 total roundtrip. A heck of a deal to explore a fascinating country and see the Northern Lights.
WOW is a low cost carrier, meaning there are many add-on fees that could eat into your savings. Generally, you’ll be fine if you know all the rules ahead of time, but at least consider whether the savings are worth the potential headache of (many) extra fees and basic onboard services.
TPG contributor Anthony Confrancesco reviewed WOW Air earlier this year and breaks down the tips/ tricks for maximizing your trip. Overall, he was extremely satisfied.
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards