This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling through O’Hare might get a bit easier this fall with the opening of the airport’s newest runway and air traffic control tower. The new addition brings the active runway count up to eight, and is the fifth of six total planned parallel runways that will allow ATC to move traffic faster through the airport — and hopefully reduce delays for travelers.
The Chicago Department of Aviation says that the new runway, 10R-28L, should positively impact both arrivals and departures, especially in poor weather conditions — the airport should see a 25% increase in good-weather arrival rates and a 40% increase in poor-weather arrivals. This is the newest runway at O’Hare since 2013, and 10R-28L will primarily be used for arrivals. ORD spent a total of $516 million to build the runway and its connecting taxiway.
New York-JFK is also aiming to open another runway later this year. A project to reconstruct and rehabilitate one of the airport’s northeast/southwest runways began in 2014, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
If you still happen to be stuck in Chicago after a long delay or cancellation, there’s plenty to keep you occupied in and around the airport. For more on your next flight to Chicago, check out our guide to maximizing points and miles in the Windy City.
H/T: USA Today
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards