This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Best Western Rewards program isn’t exactly known for amazing redemptions, but it is one of just four hotel partners that American Express Membership Rewards members can transfer to for hotel stay redemptions.
However, beginning January 1, 2016, that number becomes three, as American Express and Best Western will end their partnership. This change leaves just a few potential hotel-redemption options for Amex cardholders — SPG (3:1 — currently 2:1 with a bonus), Hilton (2:3) and Choice Hotels (1:1).
Membership Rewards members have just a couple months left to transfer before the December 31, 2015 deadline. Following this change, you’ll still be able to redeem your points for a Best Western gift card at a rate of 11,675 Membership Rewards points for $100, but that’s a very inefficient way to use your points, and you’d be better off just paying cash for your stay.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees