This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard
Here’s a roundup of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
IHG Rewards Club Credit Cardholders Can Earn Bonus Points
IHG Rewards Club cardholders can earn 10,000 points for a stay at a Holiday Inn Club Vacation resort between now and December 31, 2015. You can earn an additional 10,000 points by booking the 10,000 Bonus Point Package. As usual, if you book and pay with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you get five points per dollar spent. You must first register for the promotion before booking.
Earn Bonus AAdvantage Miles on Avis Rentals
AAdvantage members can earn 500 bonus AA miles on Avis rentals of three days or more through October 31, 2015. Additionally, cardholders of Citi AAdvantage credit cards, such as the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard, and Aviator cards can earn 750 bonus AA miles; AAdvantage Gold/Platinum members can earn 1,000 bonus AA miles; and AAdvantage Executive Platinum members can earn 1,250 bonus miles. You can also save 35% on rentals by using these promo codes: AWD # K817165 and coupon # MUAA062 with your AAdvantage number. AAdvantage bonus miles are only valid at participating Avis airport locations in the US, Canada, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America and Caribbean.
Shop Fall Flowers and Get 25 Delta or United Miles Per Dollar on FTD.com
The Delta SkyMiles Shopping Portal is offering 25 Delta SkyMiles per dollar spent at FTD.com. Make sure to enter your name and SkyMiles number during checkout to ensure you receive the miles. United MileagePlus is also offering a similar promotion, while American’s own portal is offering 20 AAdvantage miles per dollar. Miles will appear in your account six-eight weeks after you purchase. The expiration date of this promotion is not specified, so shop soon!
Enter to Win 20,000 AA Business Extra Points
Enter the American Airlines Translating Travel Sweepstakes, and you could win 20,ooo Business Extra points, which are redeemable for 10 round-trip PlanAhead Award tickets. Simply watch the video and then enter your information. For an added entry, enter your Business Extra number as well. You don’t have to be a Business Extra member to win; the contest is open to companies that employ between two and 500 employees. Enter by 12pm CT on October 20, 2015.
Select US Travelers May Not Be Able to Use Drivers License to Fly in 2016
The Real ID Act in the US may require travelers with drivers licenses issued in the states of New York, New Hampshire, Minnesota and Louisiana to use another ID when flying domestically, as these licenses don’t meet the proper security standards (at this point it’s unclear what those standards are, exactly).
Travelers will be able to use these other forms of ID instead:
- U.S. passport
- U.S. passport card
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
- Permanent resident card
This new policy will supposedly go into effect around 2016, and for now there’s no information on whether or not state governments will try to change the license procedure to meet the standards. It seems more likely that an exception will be added — for now, residents of those states don’t have anything to worry about.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards