This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Holders of the Barclaycard US Airways companion certificate have just one week left to redeem it for a flight. Under the terms, companions can join the same flight for $99 each, plus taxes and fees. The certificate was originally given to cardholders of the US Airways Premier World MasterCard, which has since been retired.
Originally these certificates were supposed to expire today, September 30, however that deadline has been extended until midnight on Monday, October 5, next week. While the tickets must be booked soon, you have until the end of 2015 to complete your travel. Tickets must be booked over the phone by calling AA’s Meeting Services department (800-433-1790). Note that when we called in this afternoon, wait times exceeded two hours, so you might want to try in a day or two.
As a reminder, here are the current companion ticket terms:
- Each year a Companion Certificate will be sent 6-8 weeks after the time of the account-opening anniversary and the annual fee has been paid. (The first certificate is sent 6-8 weeks after the account has been used for at least one purchase, and the annual fee has been paid.)
- The certificate is valid for one or two companion tickets.
- It’s valid for round-trip coach class travel within and between the contiguous US and Canada when the primary cardholder purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required).
- All passengers are responsible for payment of the additional taxes, fees and charges which are not included in the qualifying ticket minimum fare ($250) or the companion certificates ($99 or $149 as applicable).
- Restrictions apply, including advance purchase requirements and black-out dates.
The next stage of the American-US Airways merger, combining reservation systems, will finally be completed on October 18 — more than two years after the merger began. After that date, all US Airways flights will become American Airlines flights.
Even though this particular companion ticket is no longer obtainable, you can still get one with the Aviator Silver Card. For more on the Barclaycard Companion Pass, read our complete guide including restrictions and possible blackout dates.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||15.74% (Variable)||$450||0%||Excellent Credit|