This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
SPG is offering an extra 20% percent bonus when you purchase Starpoints this week. SPG members will be able to buy up to 20,000 points at a cost of 3.5 cents each (netting you 4,000 bonus for a total of 24,000). After the bonus, the cost per point goes down to 2.9 cents — still not the best deal for most people.
We currently value Starpoints at 2.5 cents, so justifying the purchase is a tough sell if you don’t have a particular redemption in mind. With that said, you can certainly find value in the promotion if you redeem your Starpoints for maximum value. Additionally, if you just need a small number of points, it’s possible to purchase as few as 500 points (including the 100-point bonus) for $17.50.
If the high cost per point doesn’t deter you, there are still opportunities to get a good value from a points purchase. The Great Northern Hotel in London, for example, is a pricey $523 per night next March, but a room costs just 12,000 Starpoints. If you opt to spend your points here, you’ll get a value of 4.4 cents per points — enough to justify the 2.9 cent per point price tag.
Another worthwhile redemption could be the Sheraton Santiago in Chile, which costs $319 or 10,000 Starpoints per night. This redemption — while not as lucrative as the Great Northern — would give you a 3.2 cent per point return on your stay. At 2.9 cents per point, purchasing Starpoints could still be worthwhile.
Note that in order to participate in the promotion, your Starwood account must have been created more than 14 days ago to participate in the promotion, and if you participated in one of the earlier offers — you’re capped at buying 20,000 points per year — so you might not be eligible to purchase more. The bonus expires on September 20th, so there’s still plenty time to get on the deal before it ends.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees