This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca Airlines is offering the chance to buy up to 350,000 LifeMiles with bonuses ranging from 50% to 135%. You’ll pay $38.94 (including taxes) per 1,000 miles, and the bonus scales up as you buy more miles. Avianca’s promotion runs through September 30 — however, it’s not open to new members (those who weren’t enrolled in LifeMiles prior to September 7).
The Colombian airline flies mostly to and within Latin America, but Avianca is also Star Alliance member so there are plenty of other options to use miles elsewhere, including Lufthansa, Singapore and United. LifeMiles are also great because the airline doesn’t levy fuel charges on award tickets, and it allows members to pay with a combination of miles and cash.
Avianca offered a similar deal earlier this year, but the biggest bonus was not quite as high as the current offer. As is usually the case, you’ll get a better return the more miles you buy. If you purchase 1,000 miles (the smallest amount possible), you’ll receive 1,500 for $38.94. This works out to a rate of 2.6 cents per mile — hardly a great deal, considering that TPG values Avianca miles at 1.7 cents apiece.
However, if you go all the way up to the maximum bonus tier of 135%, you’ll get a bonus of 202,500 miles when you buy 150,000 miles (for a total 352,500 miles) for $5,841. At this rate, you end up paying about 1.6 cents per mile — still not amazing, but it could be worth it if you have a specific redemption in mind.
If you act fast, you can net an even higher bonus of 145%. The offer is through Passageiro de Primeira, a Brazilian travel website. There is a catch, though: you must enter your LifeMiles member number on the page today (September 8th).
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards