This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday I wrote about a new promotion being offered by Gilt City. For two days only, you can earn 15 miles per dollar spent when you shop through five major airline shopping portals. As a reminder, today is the second (and final) day of this offer, so if you haven’t taken advantage of it yet, have a look!
The following airline shopping portals are participating in the promotion (with usual earning rates in parentheses):
- Alaska Mileage Plan Shopping (usually 2 miles/$)
- American AAdvantage eShopping (usually 3 miles/$)
- Delta SkyMiles Shopping (usually 2 miles/$)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping (usually 2 miles/$)
- United MileagePlus Shopping (usually 2 miles/$)
By earning 15 miles per dollar spent and factoring in TPG’s most recent valuations, your return jumps to at least 19.5% with Southwest, and can rise as high as 30% with Alaska!
Gilt City competes directly with sites like Groupon and Living Social to offer discounts on a variety of experiences in 13 major metropolitan areas (there’s also a national site with deals that aren’t specific to a city). Here are some of the more interesting deals currently in place:
- Chicago Magazine Best of Chicago 2015 — 35% off admission to August 12th party with food, wine, beer and cocktail tastings ($55); total miles = 825
- SOAK at Loews Miami Beach Hotel — 50% off daybed rental for two and $25 dining credit ($75); total miles = 1,125
- MassagePanda (San Francisco) — 39% off a 60-minute in-home couple’s massage ($119); total miles = 1,785
If you find a deal that appeals to you, be sure to click through the above shopping portals before making the purchase. In addition, make sure that you’re shopping at Gilt City and not the regular site (Gilt Groupe), or you’ll only take home 1 mile per dollar spent.
Remember too that Gilt’s own loyalty program (Gilt Insider) allows you to earn 5 points per dollar spent at Gilt or Gilt City, and you’ll earn 500 points just for joining. These points can then be cashed in for discounts, gift cards and other rewards.
Though this promotion is relatively limited in scope, it’s a good way to earn bonus miles while enjoying a new experience or product. My wife and I love taking advantage of these types of deals; we’ve taken trapeze lessons, enjoyed spa treatments, and even played glow-in-the-dark mini golf in Orlando using sites like Gilt City. Earning 15 bonus miles per dollar spent makes these offers even better. Just be sure to make the purchase today before time runs out!
Which of these deals catch your eye?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%-23.24% Variable||Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95||0%||Excellent Credit|