This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) is one of TPG’s favorite programs to rack up points in, and Starpoints also rank as the most valuable award currency in his monthly valuations. In addition to the great redemption rates at hotel properties and the SPG Moments program, you can transfer to a whopping 34 airline partners, further enhancing the value of an SPG point. Notably, it’s the only transferrable points currency that offers the ability to transfer to American Airlines. On July 1, 2015, AA and SPG began offering a limited-time 20% transfer bonus.
Generally, SPG points transfer at a 1:1 ratio to most programs, and if you transfer 20,000 in one go, you get 25,000 airline miles. Now, American Airlines is offering an additional 20% bonus that stacks on top of the extra 5,000 miles you get for transferring 20,000 points. With the new bonus, 20,000 SPG points become 30,000 AAdvantage miles, effectively a fantastic 1:1.5 transfer ratio.
This promotion ends August 31, 2015, so you only have a few days left to take advantage. You only need to initiate your transfer by August 31, 2015, at 11:59pm CT, so despite the fact that transfers generally take a few days, you’ll still get the bonus.
TPG currently values SPG points at 2.4 cents apiece and AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents apiece — so by transferring 20,000 points, you get 2.55 cents of value out of each SPG point. You do lose flexibility, though, as transfers are not reversible, so be sure to consider your future redemption plans before pulling the trigger.
Additionally, American Express just started offering an elevated sign-up bonus for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express with a bonus of 25,000 points after spending $3,000 within three months of account opening. Although you won’t be able to apply for and get the bonus in time to take advantage of this promotion, SPG points are great to have, and with luck, this offer will come around again in the future.
There’s no telling how much longer these cards will be around and available for new applications because of the Marriott takeover, so now might just be the perfect time to apply. Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees