This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin America just announced a partnership with live-event ticket marketplace ScoreBig. By doing so, the airline is following in the footsteps of many rewards programs that have begun focusing on experiences and entertainment, including Brian’s favorite, SPG Moments.
This new partnership allows Virgin America’s Elevate frequent flyer program members to earn up to 10 points per $1 on entertainment tickets booked through ScoreBig. For now, members will also earn a 500-point bonus for their first transaction on ScoreBig.
Virgin America certainly attempts to present a hip and vibrant image, from mood lighting in the sky to its safety danc – err, videos, so it’s not surprising that they would offer flyers a way to tie that in with entertainment on the ground.
It remains to be seen exactly how many points members will earn, beyond the cryptic “up to” 10 points/$1. Still, it’s a good option for earning extra points if you’re already an Elevate member and have any concerts or sporting events in your future. Points earned through this program are in addition to any you might earn from your credit card. For example, the Citi Prestige, Citi ThankYou Premier and Citi ThankYou Preferred Card all offer double points on entertainment purchases, so if you pair one of those cards with ScoreBig, you can potentially earn a great return on live-event tickets.
While Citi announced some negative changes to this card back in July — including a lower sign-up bonus, the elimination of Admirals Club access and the end of the free rounds of golf benefit — one of its most valuable perks still remains, which is the 4th Night Free perk. This benefit alone can save you thousands of dollars a year if you use it to its full advantage.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year, and receive a statement credit, up to $100 every 5 years, as reimbursement for your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre √®
- 4th night hotel benefit for any hotel stay at hotels booked through the Citi Prestige® Concierge
- Earn 40,000 bonus points after $4,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for a $532 flight on any airline or $400 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases