This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-sharing app Uber has launched a new service in Istanbul: UberBOAT, which transport riders to their destinations by boat.
The new service will function the same way as a normal Uber ride — just stand by the coast, hail your ride using Uber’s app, and a boat with space for six to eight people should arrive promptly to bring you to your destination.
Captains will ferry passengers across the Bosphorus Strait in the city between Asia and Europe. Uber estimates the fares will cost anywhere from 50 Turkish Lira (approx. $20 USD) to 435 Lira (approx. $160 USD), depending on the destination and trip length.
These fares are pretty pricey — especially considering that there are plenty of other ways to get around the city. Travelers can already use bridges, tunnels and even a competing public ferry system, which is just a few dollars at most per trip — certainly a more cost-effective method of travel in Istanbul.
Last summer, the ride-sharing app offered a similar boat service in Boston to ferry people around the city between popular hotels, tourist attractions and even Logan International Airport.
If you haven’t signed up for Uber, you can join here and get your first ride free (up to $20).
For more information on Uber, check out these posts:
- The Top 5 Cities That Need Uber — Now
- Does Uber Count as Travel on Chase Sapphire Preferred?
- You Can Now Request a Spanish-Speaking Uber Driver in Six US Cities
- Uber / Capital One Partnership Offers Savings and Free Rides
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards