This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starwood is launching its Make It Count promotion today, which we wrote about earlier this month. As a reminder, this promotion is valid for stays from June 1-August 31. As a SPG member, you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points per weekend stay of 2+ nights at all Starwood properties.
With Make It Count, at most, that means you can earn 500 bonus Starpoints per night, which is a pretty lackluster deal. You can register for SPG Make It Count here, and note that there are no limits to the number of bonuses you can earn and every property is participating in this offer.
Starwood’s also introducing another offer called Sheraton Free Weekends, which actually seems like a somewhat lucrative promo. You’ll earn a free Sheraton weekend night for every five Sheraton nights you stay from July 9-September 30. With this offer, you can earn up to 3 free nights that can be combined, and can be redeemed at any Sheraton hotel or resort when standard rooms are available through December 13. SPG has yet to share details regarding this promotion, but we expect to hear more before registration opens on July 9.
There are a few high-end Sheraton properties that might make the most sense for redeeming your free nights, such as the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, Sheraton Kauai Resort, Sheraton Macao Hotel, Sheraton Steamboat Resort, Sheraton Barra Rio de Janeiro Hotel, Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa and the Sheraton Iguazú Resort & Spa.
For example, taking a look at the Sheraton New York around Thanksgiving, the cheapest rate available during that time period was $399 a night, making this a decent option for a free night redemption.
What are your thoughts on SPG Make It Count and Sheraton Free Weekends? Feel free to comment below.
There’s no telling how much longer these cards will be around and available for new applications because of the Marriott takeover, so now might just be the perfect time to apply. Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees