This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This month, OpenTable announced an update to its Dining Rewards Program. Starting on August 25, 2015, members will no longer be able to redeem points for paper dining cheques, but instead will be able to redeem for gift cards valid at participating restaurants.
Members were previously able to redeem these paper cheques at most OpenTable restaurants, but now you’ll have to select a gift card for a specific restaurant before ordering. Additionally, in the future, you’ll have the opportunity to exchange points for Amazon gift cards (though likely at a less favorable rate), which is helpful for members residing in areas without many restaurants selling gift cards.
Using the old method, cheques could take as long as four weeks to arrive, but the new system offers an instant digital delivery of the award, making redemptions a lot easier.
To redeem these rewards, you’ll need to visit OpenTable’s website and follow these steps. After receiving an email with the voucher, you’ll be able select a restaurant of your choice. The paper cheques should still be accepted at participating OpenTable restaurants after the deadline, but you’ll probably want to inquire with individual restaurants to confirm.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards