This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A free checked bag on every JetBlue flight is now a thing of the past. As of today, you’ll need to pay a bit more if you plan to check a bag: $20 online, $25 at the airport ticket counter or less if you upgrade to a slightly more expensive fare bundle. The new checked bag fee comes as no surprise — JetBlue first mentioned its new fees late last year, along with a hint of its new fare options (which are similar to American’s) — but we do have some more info to share since the new fares went live today.
Coach fares will be available in three pricing tiers:
- Blue: Basic fare with no checked bags included
- Blue Plus: Mid-level fare with one checked bag, 1 extra TrueBlue point per dollar, reduced change fees
- Blue Flex: Top-tier fare with two checked bags, 2 extra TrueBlue points per dollar, waived change fees, and Even More Speed
All fares in JetBlue’s Mint premium cabin will continue to include two checked bags and Even More Speed, though change fees do apply (there isn’t currently a Mint fare option with additional bags or waived change fees). Additionally, on select routes, including Bogota, Cartagena, Kingston, Lima, Medellín, Mexico City, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Santiago and Santo Domingo, both the Blue and Blue Plus fare options include the first checked bag.
Based on a sample booking for an upcoming JetBlue transcontinental flight, Blue Plus added $14 to the base fare in each direction, while Blue Flex added $100 to the fare, bringing the cost of a coach seat to half the price of Mint for the same flight.
The loss of a free checked bag may not be a popular move with loyal JetBlue travelers, but the airline is making improvements in other areas. JetBlue continues to add 10.1-inch TVs with 100 channels of DirecTV in coach, and by 2016, all of the airline’s A320s and A321s will include high-speed (and free!) Fly-Fi internet access, powered by ViaSat’s speedy Ka-band satellite.
Some updates/clarifications from JetBlue:
- The new fares take effect today, however, if you purchased a ticket before today you will receive a free checked bag
- JetBlue American Express cardholders do not currently receive a free checked bag
- Blue Plus and Blue Flex do not include any discounts for Even More Space upgrades
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%-23.24% Variable||Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95||0%||Excellent Credit|