This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a 14-year hiatus, Turkish Airlines is set to once again offer nonstop flights from Istanbul Ataturk airport to Miami. Flights are scheduled to begin on October 25, 2015, and will operate daily on a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. The flight will operate on the following schedule:
- TK77 Istanbul to Miami — departing 1:30 pm, arriving 7:30 pm
- TK78 Miami to Istanbul — departing 9:30 pm, arriving 4:30 pm (+1 day)
Turkish Airlines has expanded its US presence over the past two years by adding flights to Boston, Houston, San Francisco and now Miami. Over that time, Turkish has carved out a nice little niche serving direct markets as well as US passengers connecting to other exotic destinations. Miami is a logical next step for Turkish, as Qatar is currently the only direct competition to the region, and the city of Miami is a huge tourist destination for travelers from around the world.
With the new Miami announcement, Turkish is also offering some great introductory fares to points in Europe and beyond. Discounted fares are widely available, and stretch all the way into spring of next year. Here are a few examples:
- Miami — Basel: $652
- Miami — Amsterdam: $682
- Miami — Paris: $705
Turkish Airlines has a megahub at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, which is pretty out of the way for most destinations in western Europe. That means you’ll be doing some backtracking, but it may be worthwhile. Also, with such a late arrival into Istanbul from Miami, many itineraries will require a lengthy layover. If you find yourself with some time to spare, check out Lane Nieset’s Layover Lowdown: Istanbul Ataturk Airport for ideas on what to do and see in the area.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards