This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
Chase is once again offering an increased sign-up bonus of 50,000 points for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. This standard offer for this card is 25,000 miles. so this larger bonus is much more lucrative.
Here are the full details:
- Get 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account.
- Get 6,000 points after your Cardmember Anniversary.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines® purchases made directly with the airline and on Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Redeem points for gift cards, car rentals, cruises, hotel stays and international flights to over 800 destinations on 50+ global carriers.
- No foreign transaction fees.
You can also earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 you spend on the card, up to 15,000 points annually.
On the downside, Southwest Airlines recently made some changes to the Rapid Rewards program by introducing dynamic award pricing. The changes weren’t as drastic as some frequent flyers feared, but it was enough to make me drop the value of Rapid Rewards slightly in my most recent monthly valuations. Hopefully Southwest won’t continue to devalue its program, since it’s a pretty good option for domestic flights, and increasingly international ones as well.
Chase offers these 50,000 point sign-up bonuses periodically, but you never know if or when they’ll come around, and they usually only last for a few weeks. If the timing isn’t right for you now, my guess is that these offers will come back, but possibly not until the fall of 2015.
Check out these posts for more information on maximizing the offer:
- Southwest Companion Pass: 16 Things Every Flyer Should Know
- 11 Ways to Top Up Your Account for the Southwest Companion Pass
- Southwest Points vs. Southwest Credits: When Transferring Makes Sense and How to Check Availability
- Can I Get Two Southwest Cards in One Day to Qualify for a Companion Pass
- Using Marriott Flight + Hotel Awards for the Southwest Companion Pass
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%-23.24% Variable||Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95||0%||Excellent Credit|