This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is currently offering a 50%-off promo on select routes, letting you redeem either a one-way or round-trip award for half the regular number of miles. You can book the discounted flights from now through July 10, and while there are options from North America (Houston) and Europe (London and Zurich), you’re only able to redeem for economy-class travel, making a short-haul flight within Asia much more appealing. Also, note that only specific flights are eligible — Singapore offers four daily flights from London, for example, but you can only redeem at the lower rate on flight SQ317 (operated by an A380 — phew!).
There are some steals to be had, though. Take, for example, this one-way flight between Singapore and Bali for a mere 3,750 KrisFlyer miles (plus about $60 in taxes and fees). The same flight would run you just over $400 if you’re paying cash, giving you a whopping 11 cents in value for your miles. With a one-way flight, you can continue on to another country in Asia without doubling back through Changi Airport.
You can also redeem for select long-haul flights, if you’d like, but this 21:35 trek from Houston on Singapore’s 777-300ER with a connection in Moscow might not be the most luxurious option for getting to Southeast Asia. SQ also tacks on $506 in taxes and fees, which, when considering that TPG values KrisFlyer miles at 1.5 cents each, means you’re ultimately “paying” $1,068 to get to Singapore. While that’s not a bad price, you’re not going to win any awards for making the most of your miles.
Earning Singapore KrisFlyer Miles
Singapore is a transfer partner of all four flexible point-transfer programs:
- Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can transfer your Ultimate Rewards points from your Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus cards at a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that transfers typically process within 24 hours, but can take up to two days.
- American Express Membership Rewards. Membership Rewards points transfer 1:1 to Singapore from cards such as the no-fee Amex Everyday, or the Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum cards. Transfers generally take 12-24 hours to complete.
- Starwood Preferred Guest. While it’s great that Singapore is offered as a transfer partner, it can take about three weeks for the miles to show up in your account! Points transfer at a 1:1 ratio, with a 5,000-point bonus for redeeming 20,000 points at once. Earn Starwood points from your Starwood Preferred Guest card from American Express.
- Citi ThankYou. Singapore might be one of the best airline transfer options available from the ThankYou points program, but transfers tend to take 2-3 days. The ratio is 1:1, and you can transfer points from your ThankYou rewards account if you hold a Citi Premier or Prestige card.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards