This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a round-up of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
Disney Cruises Announces New Sailings for 2016
Disney Cruises will sail to the Bahamas and Canada from New York starting in 2016. The cruise line will also offer new route options from Miami and Galveston, including Miami to the Eastern and Western Caribbean and Galveston to the Bahamas and Cozumel. Bookings and more information for the new routes are available here.
Get Two Months of Delta Silver Status for Free
If you receive an invitation from Delta, you can obtain two months of Silver Medallion elite status simply by registering here by May 30, 2015. Perks include:
- Complimentary Delta Comfort+ within 24 hours of departure
- Complimentary preferred seats
- Unlimited complimentary upgrades
- Waived baggage fees
If you book and fly two qualifying round-trip flights within two months of enrolling, you can keep the Silver status until 2016 and earn 5,000 bonus Skymiles.
Alitalia Will Be Ending Its KLM/Air France Partnership
Alitalia will not be renewing its partnership with KLM/Air France in January of 2017. The Air France-KLM/Alitalia partnership handles passenger services between France, Italy, the Netherlands and more, plus some of the marketing, sales and distribution. Now that Etihad has a 49% stake in Alitalia, the airline has been reinventing itself and it no longer seems to align correctly with the Air France/KLM partnership. It’s still unclear if there will be implications for Alitalia’s SkyTeam membership.
Southwest Adds Nonstop Albany-Denver Flight for Summer
Southwest will be adding a nonstop summer route between Albany (ALB) and Denver (DEN) on Saturdays from June 13 to August 8, 2015. The Albany airport officials are hoping that this route will attract enough customers to continue flying it permanently. Southwest has been flying out of Albany for the past 15 years with 13 daily departures out of ALB, six of them nonstop flights.
Delta Creates a New Internet-Inspired Safety Video
Fans of internet pop culture will love Delta’s new safety video, entitled The Internetest Safety Video On The Internet. The video explains all the safety procedures while simultaneously paying homage to all the crazy viral internet videos, from the ice-bucket challenge to the Harlem Shake. Props to Delta for making a safety video that really holds the attention of the passengers — although frequent travelers might not love it after the first few showings.
Earn/Redeem Business Extra Points on British Airways and Iberia
As of May 20, 2015, you can earn and redeem Business Extra points on British Airways and Iberia (even when purchased directly from each carrier). You can also earn points for tickets marketed by American Airlines on Finnair, Japan Airlines and Qantas.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees