This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Donald tweeted me to ask
@thepointsguy – “Do any credit cards offer bonuses for pharmacy purchases?”
I always advocate maximizing the points you earn on each purchase, and with healthcare costs going through the roof, it makes sense to pay close attention to which card you use on pharmacy purchases. There’s one card that does offer a bonus for spending at pharmacies: the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card offers three points per dollar spent on drugstore purchases. Of course, you have to consider that Hilton HHonors points aren’t all that valuable — it’s not like you’re earning three Amex, Chase, or Starwood points, but you’ll still get about 2% or so back in value on your pharmacy spend.
If possible, I recommend going to a pharmacy at a supermarket. This way you can maximize supermarket purchase bonuses, which are much bigger and easier to come by. One of the best cards to use at supermarkets is the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, which offers six points per dollar spent on up to $6,000 of spending annually (1% after that), which essentially earns you 6% back at standalone US supermarkets.
The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express earns six points per dollar at supermarkets, and currently offers a sign-up bonus of 80,000 points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of cardmembership.
Another option is the Amex EveryDay Preferred Card, which earns three valuable Amex Membership Rewards points at supermarkets and offers a 50% bonus on all points earned for the month when you use your card at least 30 times, giving you 4.5 points per dollar spent.
Make sure the pharmacy at your supermarket qualifies for the bonus. It should, but it’s worth testing it out first or calling to verify.
You can always reference this post on Maximizing Credit Card Bonus Categories, but here’s a list of cards that earn bonus points at supermarkets:
- Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express: 6x points per $1 at standalone US supermarkets up to $6,000 in purchases annually.
- Hilton HHonors Surpass Card: 6x points per $1 at US supermarkets.
- Hilton HHonors Amex: 5x points per $1 at US supermarkets.
- Blue Cash EveryDay Card from American Express: 3x points per $1 at standalone US supermarkets up to $6,000 in purchases annually.
- Amex EveryDay Preferred Card: 3x points per $1 at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases annually.
- Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card: 3x points per $1 at US supermarkets.
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express: 2x points per $1 at US supermarkets.
- Amex EveryDay Card: 2x points per $1 at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases annually.
- IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card: 2x points per $1.
If you have any other questions, please tweet me @thepointsguy, message me on Facebook, or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.