This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase has relaunched the United MileagePlus Explorer Card with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of account opening, with a waived annual fee the first year, plus two one-time passes for the United Club each year.
United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- LIMITED TIME OFFER: Start with 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Check your first bag for free – save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn double miles on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Your miles don’t expire as long as you’re a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
With the MileagePlus Explorer card, You’ll earn 2x MileagePlus miles per $1 spent on United purchases, as well 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. Apart from the sign-up bonus of 50,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first three months, this card offers no foreign transaction fees, making it a decent option for traveling abroad.
You’ll get a number of perks that can improve your travel experience, like priority boarding (for you and companions traveling on the same reservation), a free first checked bag on United operated flights (for you and one companion on the same reservation when you use your Explorer card to purchase tickets), and two United Club passes annually.
In my most recent monthly valuations, I list United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so I value the sign-up bonus at $750. If you check a bag on just four one-way United flights each year, the free checked bag benefit will save you $100, and I value the two club passes at about $25 each. All told, I think you’ll reasonably get at least $900 in value from this card in the first year, if not more.
Readers have reported that when booking a ticket through United.com, you may be able to get a slightly better offer that includes a $50 statement credit.
Check out these posts for more details on the MileagePlus program in general:
- Using the United Explorer Bonus in a Post-Devaluation World
- What is United Airlines Premier Elite Status Worth?
- United Partner Awards Pricing at Lower Levels on Some Routes
- Overview of United Airlines Award Routing Rules
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%-23.24% Variable||Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95||0%||Excellent Credit|