This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today is the last day to buy Alaska MileagePlan miles for a 40% bonus. When you buy 40,000 miles, you get 16,000 bonus miles (56,000 total) for a total cost of $1,182.50, or 2.1 cents per mile. There is no limit to the amount of miles you can buy and note that they are processed by points.com, so it won’t show up as an airfare purchase.
These miles can then be used on Alaska or any of their partners. The redemption rates vary by partner.
- American Airlines
- Air France
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific (Must call to book)
- Delta Air Lines
- Fiji Airways
- Korean Air
- LAN (Must call to book)
- Ravn Alaska
Make It Rain First Class
Coincidentally, Alaska just started releasing a lot more Emirates First class space and it just so happened, that there are two first class seats Milan- JFK on the exact day I need to return home from Europe in August. This is awesome because Emirates is flying the A380 on this route starting in June, so it’ll be one of the best ways to fly from Europe to the US and most certainly from Milan to NYC. I flew the A380 from Dubai to NYC in 2013 and enjoyed it thoroughly, though I did experience rough turbulence while showering!
Alaska makes searching for Emirates and most other partners painless, simply go to alaskaair.com and select “Use Miles” and search away!
In my case, each Emirates First Class seat is selling for $7,630 (6,949 Euro).
So for 200,000 miles and $122 I got $15,260 in airfare. If I would have purchased all 200,000 miles, it would have cost me a shade over $4,200 for both seats- not a bad discount off the normal price!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards