This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – IHG Rewards Club Select Card
Chase has been offering a sign-up bonus of 70,000 points for the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. While there have been targeted offers for 80,000 points from time to time, 70,000 points is the best one currently available; however, this offer was set to expire yesterday, and has since been extended, so if you’re interested in signing-up for this card, there is still time!
Aside from the points, this card comes with an annual free night certificate that you can use at any IHG property worldwide, including The Palazzo and Venetian in Las Vegas. You also get IHG Platinum Elite status, which doesn’t compare to elite status with other brands, but gets you a 50% bonus on base points earning and the potential for upgrades. The $49 annual fee is waived for the first year, but even beyond that the card is well worth keeping for the annual free night.
IHG award nights start at 10,000 points for Category 1 properties, and go up to 50,000 points for top-tier Category 9 properties, with plenty of options in between. 70,000 points could get you two nights at Category 6 properties like the Intercontinental Budapest or the Holiday Inn Beachcomber Resort in Waikiki. 70,000 points would also go a long way with IHG PointBreaks, which allow you to book select properties worldwide for just 5,000 points per night.
These are the published benefits on the IHG Rewards Card:
- Earn 70,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months.
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent when you stay at our hotels.
- Earn 2 points per $1 on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores & restaurants.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Annual free night
- Platinum Elite status as long as you’re a Select cardmember.
- Automatic 10% points rebate.
- No foreign transaction fees when you use your card for purchases abroad.
- $0 Introductory annual fee for the first year, then $49.
As you can see, the benefits on this card aren’t as impressive as some other co-branded hotel cards (like the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card, for example). Still, the annual free night alone makes this card worth having, and the low spending requirement makes the sign-up bonus pretty easy to get. For more analysis, check out Jason Steele’s recent review of the card, and for some ideas about how to use the sign-up bonus, check out these posts on 7 Great IHG hotels in the US and Incredible IHG Hotels for International Gateways.