This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in December, the US Airways Premier World MasterCard from Barclaycard offered targeted cardholders referral bonuses of between 5,000-10,000 miles for each person they referred to sign up for the card who applied successfully. The promotion period ended January 18, and it looks like the miles have just started posting to cardholders’ accounts. So if you referred folks for the card, log into your Dividend Miles account on US Airways’ site and check if your miles have posted yet.
Here is what the mileage posting looks like:
As you can see, it is credited as a balance transfer bonus, and is in one lump sum. This account earned the maximum bonus offer of 50,000 miles.
Even if you did not apply through someone else’s referral link, you can still sign up for this card, and it is worth doing so sooner rather than later. The US Airways Premier World MasterCard is one of the best travel credit card offers currently on the market thanks to a few factors.
The first of which is, it is currently offering a limited-time sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles with first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee. The normal sign-up bonus is between 35,000-40,000 miles.
You might also want to sign up sooner rather than later because, as part of the US Airways merger with American Airlines, this card will transition to an American Airlines MasterCard in 2015 and its benefits will change. Barclaycard has already introduced a targeted, higher-end version of its new American Airlines co-branded credit card to select US Airways cardholders, with great new benefits like a Global Entry application fee waiver and 3x points on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 2x miles on hotel and car rentals.
However, even if you have or get the current US Airways card, Barclaycard started waiving foreign transaction fees for cardholders making purchases abroad and plans to add even more benefits in the second quarter of the year. Here are the rest of the card details and benefits.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights
- Redeem miles for award travel on US Airways and American Airlines booked through usairways.com or US Airways Reservations
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- New! Receive a 25% savings on eligible US Airways and American Airlines in-flight purchases
- Benefits Coming in Second Quarter 2015: $100 flight discount on your account anniversary each year when you spend $30,000 on purchases. Also receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 annually.
What Are 50,000 Miles Worth?
At my current valuation of 1.9 cents apiece, 50,000 miles is worth $950. Subtract the $89 annual fee, and you’re still looking at $861 in value without taking into consideration any of the other benefits.
In terms of awards, 50,000 miles is enough for a roundtrip business class award within the US, including on American’s A321T transcontinental service. It is also enough for at least one way of a roundtrip business class award to South America; or Europe on Oneworld partners like British Airways, Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin; and almost enough for one way of a roundtrip business class award to South Africa or to the South Pacific including Australia and New Zealand, as well as to North Asia including Hong Kong (110,000 miles roundtrip for any of these).
For more information on just where 50,000 US Airways miles will get you, check out these two posts:
Did you get in on the referral bonuses? How do you plan to use your bonus miles?
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ MasterCard®
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||15.99% - 23.99%* (Variable)||$95, waived for first 12 months*||0%||Excellent/Good|