This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, TPG Chief Operating Officer Leigh Rowan talks about his experience trying to score a 100,000 point sign-up offer for the American Express Platinum Card by reaching out to Amex through its online chat feature.
A few days ago, after hearing that several TPG readers had received juicy Amex Platinum sign-up offers (up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points), I tried my hand at a few Amex customer service channels hoping that I too could uncover the same bonus.
A bit of background—I’ve been a loyal Amex cardmember for over 10 years, but I’ve never had a Platinum or Gold card. Instead, I’ve carried a Delta Skymiles Platinum card and various other business cards.
After checking on CardMatch to see if I was targeted (I wasn’t, in fact, there were no Amex offers showing for me), I went via the TPG Hot Deals link to the American Express website to see if I’d have better luck there. I was shown an offer for 40,000 Membership Rewards points upon signup—not quite the bonus I was looking for.
A handful of readers have shared with us that they received better offers by chatting with Amex Customer Service representatives, so I opened a chat window. Unfortunately, the kind but fairly scripted agent wasn’t able to offer me anything better than the 40,000 point bonus. She did try to sell me on the features of the card, but she couldn’t find an RSVP code for me that would have unlocked a higher bonus. It’s not clear why others had more success. If this tactic worked for you (or if it didn’t), please share your experiences in the comments below.
In short, I’m still without an Amex Platinum, and holding out hope that a larger sign-up bonus will come back soon. However, if you’re not targeted for a higher offer and would rather have the card now, the current offer for this card is still a good value:
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Up to a $200 Airline Fee Credit Annually.
- To receive the statement credit, you need to select a qualifying airline.
- There are no foreign transaction fees with purchases made on your Platinum Card.
- Platinum Card Concierge is your personal resource to help secure a last minute restaurant reservation, or shop for a hard-to-find gift.
- Terms & restrictions apply.
Have you had success scoring a higher sign-up bonus by reaching out to American Express via the online chat feature?
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees