This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following in the footsteps of American Airlines, United Airlines will be offering premium travelers mileage bonuses for travel completed between January 9 through February 28. United MileagePlus members will be able to earn up to 12,000 bonus award miles per flight segment, in addition to base earnings and other bonus miles they typically earn.
Here’s a look at the new bonuses that MileagePlus members will earn:
Long-haul flights include those of at least 3,000 miles and United’s p.s. Premium Service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles and between New York (JFK) and San Francisco.
Per the terms and conditions, qualifying flight segments included in this promotion are flights operated by United or United Express, or flights marketed by United and operated by Air Canada (AC), All Nippon Airways (NH), Austrian Airlines (OS), Brussels Airlines (SN), Copa Airlines (CM), Lufthansa (LH) or Swiss International Airlines (LX).
Members do not need to register for the promotion as the bonus miles will post to MileagePlus accounts automatically two to four weeks after the qualifying flight is completed.
Unlike American’s promotion which is valid on for all of 2015, United’s is only valid for the first two months. Perhaps they are trying to see what sort of impact this has on the amount of people purchasing premium fares, before they decide to implement for the whole year.
When it comes to the amount of bonus miles you’ll earn, United’s chart is literally identical to American’s, so we all know where their creative team got these numbers from. I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta follows suit with a similar promotion in the next few weeks as well!
What are your thoughts on United’s latest offering? Will this motivate you to purchase premium fares on United the next couple of months?
The standard sign-up offer for these co-branded cards is 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, so the current bonus is a significant step up. TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $750 in value.
- Special offer: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United-operated flight at the MileagePlus Standard Award level
- $95 annual fee