This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Airways Premier World MasterCard has had a number of different sign-up bonuses within the last year—usually in the range of 30,000 to 40,000 miles—but is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 50,000 US Airways miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee.
However, once US Airways and American Airlines merge, Barclaycard won’t be able to accept new applications for American Airlines co-branded cards, so what they’re doing is brilliant—offering Aviator Red and Silver products as upgrades to existing cardholders. This means if you want to be able to have one of these Aviator cards, you must apply now through the US Airways card, and then you’ll be converted.
Here’s a rundown on the new products:
AAdvantage Aviator Red (Annual Fee: $89): This is the go to card for the majority of US Airways MasterCard cardholders after the frequent flyer programs merge in 2015.
Mileage Earning: Earn 2x miles on US Airways and American purchases, 1x miles on hotels and car rentals and 1x on all other purchases.
Perks: First checked bag free for you and up to 4 traveling companions, priority boarding, 10% of your redeemed miles back up to 10,000 miles per year, $100 flight discount each year with $30,000 in annual purchases, 25% in-flight savings on food, beverage and headsets, Chip-enabled for global acceptance, MasterCard World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard (Annual Fee: $195, billed on 2015 anniversary date):
Mileage Earning: 3x miles on US Airways and American purchases, 2x miles on hotels and car rentals and 1x on all other purchases.
Elite Mileage Earning: 5,000 EQMs for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
Perks: First checked bag free for you and up to 8 of your traveling companions, 10% of your redeemed miles back up to 10,000 miles per year, companion certificate each year good for up to 2 guests at $99 each with $30,000 in purchases by your account anniversary (plus taxes and fees), No Foreign Transaction Fees, Chip-enabled for global acceptance, Premium Servicing with US-based customer service, MasterCard World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits, priority boarding, and 25% in-flight savings on food, beverage and headsets. Lastly, this card offers a $100 Global Entry fee waiver.
But in order to get those cards, you’ll first need to sign up for the US Airways Premier World MasterCard, which offers:
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights
- New! No foreign transaction fees on purchases you make while traveling in another country
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- 25% in-flight savings on food, beverages & headset purchases on US Airways and American Airlines
- § Please see terms and conditions for complete details
Cardholders of the US Airways MasterCard will also enjoy the following:
- 25% in-flight savings on food, beverage, and headset purchases on US Airways and American Airlines flights. This savings will appear as a credit on your statement.
- In addition to earning 2X miles for every dollar you spend on eligible US Airways purchases, you’ll also earn 2X miles on eligible American Airlines purchases.
Another new perk that was just announced is that the Aviator Silver card will be offering a Global Entry Fee Waiver once every five years. Even if you already have Global Entry, you could have a friend or family member apply and charge on your card and the fee would be credited back, so you can still reap value with this new perk.
If you were to start spending on the US Airways card and then upgrade to the Aviator Silver later on during the year, the spend will carry over thus far and count toward the $20,000 or $40,000 needed for the 5,000 EQMs at each level.
If you have any questions about this card or the conversion process, feel free to comment below or also check out my detailed post about BarclayCard Launches AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card.
- For a limited time, earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases.1
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*