This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG just released its latest list of PointBreaks hotels for November 24- February 28, 2015. PointBreaks are reduced award redemptions at IHG hotels (Intercontinental, EVEN Hotels, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, etc.) that require just 5,000 Rewards Club points for a free night, and change every few months. While many of the participating properties are in fairly mundane destinations, there are always a few worth checking out, and others that can be useful depending on your travel plans.
Depending on where you redeem them, 5,000 points per night can be exceptional value, especially for Intercontinental properties (which normally require between 30,000-50,000 points per night) and EVEN Hotels and Crowne Plazas (which usually require 20,000-50,000 points, depending on the category). The U.S. locations on this list are pretty lackluster, but here are some of the more intriguing international PointBreaks properties being offered this time around:
InterContinental Presidente Merida: This property used to be a Spanish general’s stately mansion and now is turned into a hotel with 127 guest rooms and 4 suites. Rooms here normally go for 25,000 points per night, or start around $149 if you’re paying cash. There’s plenty to explore in the area like Izamal, or the ancient Mayan ruins.
EVEN Hotel Norwalk, Connecticut: Check out IHG’s newest brand EVEN Hotels at their 129 room property in Norwalk, Connecticut. Rooms here normally go for 20,000 points per night, or start around $180 if you’re paying cash. Other area activities include the Norwalk Islands, Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk and the Connecticut state parks.
InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort: Located in Port Ghalib, Egypt’s Red Sea Riviera, this property boasts 308 guest rooms and 13 suites. Rooms here normally go for 25,000 points per night, or start around 88 EUR per night.
A few other interesting locations on the PointBreaks list include Washington D.C, Helsinki, Istanbul, and Moscow. Check out the full list to see what else is available. If you need IHG Rewards points quickly in order to book PointBreaks award nights, IHG is a 1:1 transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, so you can transfer points from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold, or Ink Plus to top up your account.
As a reminder, IHG recently added a new rule that IHG Rewards Club members may only book two PointBreaks reservations at each hotel offered in a given period. However, there is no limit to how many nights can be booked at the discounted rate for each of those two reservations. That said, award space is limited at IHG hotels, and the best PointBreaks properties tend to go quickly.
Were you able to score any of these hotels for 5,000 points? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards