This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Through February 28, 2015, you can earn up to 4,000 United miles when you connect a Chase United MileagePlus card to the Softcard contactless payment app for Android and Windows phones, and make purchases via the app with the linked card.
You’ll earn 2,500 United MileagePlus miles for connecting a United card and making your first Softcard purchase; then earn an additional 500 miles for each month (through February 28, 2015) in which you make a Softcard purchase.
Softcard (formerly named Isis Wallet) is a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile that enables you to make payments by tapping your smartphone against special contactless payment kiosks at participating businesses such as Petco, Chevron, Rite Aid, Walgreens, McDonald’s and Subway, as well as independent stores and restaurants. In addition to Chase cards (like the co-branded United cards, as well as Freedom and Sapphire Preferred), you can link eligible Wells Fargo and American Express cards (such as Everyday, Amex Platinum, and Premier Rewards Gold.
To enroll in this United bonus offer, download the Softcard app to a compatible Android or Windows smartphone by February 28, 2015, add any Chase United MileagePlus card to Softcard, and be sure to click on Activate Card. Once you’ve added and activated your card, click to see the back of your card and follow the steps to register your 8-digit MileagePlus number with Softcard. You can then start making purchases via the app to earn your bonus miles.
Meanwhile, you’ll also earn rewards already associated with the Chase United cards, such as the United MileagePlus Explorer Card (2x per $1 spent on United tickets, and 1x per $1 on all other purchases), United MileagePlus Explorer Business (2x per $1 spent on United tickets and at gas stations, restaurants and office supply stores), and United MileagePlus Club (2x per $1 on United tickets and 1.5x per $1 on all other purchases).
If you have a United card and compatible phone, and shop somewere that accepts Softcard, then this promotion is a no-brainer. I value United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so the Softcard bonus is worth up to $60 in free travel (depending on whether you’re able to earn the extra 500 miles each month).
The standard sign-up offer for these co-branded cards is 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, so the current bonus is a significant step up. TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $750 in value.
- Special offer: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United-operated flight at the MileagePlus Standard Award level
- $95 annual fee
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards