This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying Blue, the mileage program of SkyTeam partners Air France, KLM and Air Europa, offers Promo Awards each month, through which you can book award flights for 25-50% off on certain routes and in specific cabins. While these awards used to be released every two months, Flying Blue now updates them each month instead. The list of awards you can book between October 1-31 for travel December 1-January 31 is now up on the Promo Awards page. Even though Air France is a Delta Air Lines partner, you cannot book these awards with Delta SkyMiles.
The current list between North America and Europe for travel dates between December 1, 2014 and January 31, 2015 includes:
- Boston on Air France: 25% off business class – 46,875 miles each way, 93,750 miles round-trip.
- Chicago on KLM: 25% off economy class – 18,750 miles each way, 37,500 miles round-trip.
- Houston on KLM: 25% off economy class – 18,750 miles each way, 37,500 miles round-trip.
- Houston on Air France: 25% off premium economy class – 37,500 miles each way, 75,000 miles round-trip.
- Miami on Air France: 25% off business class – 46,875 miles each way, 93,750 miles round-trip.
- Washington D.C. on KLM: 25% off economy – 18,750 miles each way, 37,500 miles round-trip.
Also, there are other good deals available for those outside of North America or who are already going to be in Europe, such as 50% off Air France economy class between Europe and Moscow (7,500 miles each way), or 50% off Air France and KLM economy class between Europe and Osaka, Japan (20,000 miles each way).
These awards aren’t as good as the ones offered last month, which featured some 50% off options. Still, there’s value to be had here.
With Promo Awards, a coach ticket from Chicago to Paris in December would cost 37,500 miles plus $268.38 in taxes in fees. To book these flights outright would cost $1,209.54, so the redemption option offers 2.51 cents per mile in value, which is higher than my most recent valuation of 1.3 cents apiece for Air France Flying Blue miles.
Stocking up on Flying Blue Miles
If you don’t have enough Flying Blue miles, there are a few ways you can get them relatively quickly. The program is an instant 1:1 transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards, the program of cards like the Premier Rewards Gold Card and The Platinum Card from American Express.
Flying Blue is also a 1:1 transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest, which offers a 5,000-mile bonus on transfers of 20,000 points. Just note that transfers can take a few days. The current sign-up bonus for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express (and the business version, the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express) is 25,000 points when you spend $3,000, (personal card), and $5,000 (business card) in the first 3 months. Even if you never fly Air France/KLM, or if you bank your SkyTeam miles elsewhere, there are still plenty of options to top up your account quickly using points you might already have. They are also a 1:1 transfer partner of Citi Thank You Rewards
Do you plan to book any of these awards? Let us know your thoughts and plans in the comments below.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees