This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Chris tweeted me to ask:
@thepointsguy “What happened to the bonus Medallion Qualifying Miles that I used to get with my Delta American Express Platinum card? Is this another SkyMiles casualty of Delta 2014?”
I think my heart stopped for a moment when I read Chris’s question, wondering whether something had in fact happened to the Delta MQM bonus that comes with the Delta Amex Platinum card.
After a split second of panic, however, I was able to confirm that MQM bonuses still exist for the Delta Amex Platinum card and Delta Amex Platinum Business card, and the Delta Reserve card and Delta Reserve Business card.
The earning structure on the Platinum cards rewards you with 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000 annually, and another 10,000 MQMs after spending $50,000. You can earn the bonuses twice if you have both the personal and business versions of the card.
With the Delta Reserve card, you’ll earn 15,000 MQMs when you spend $30,000, and another 15,000 MQMs when you hit $60,000 in spend. So if you had all four cards, which you technically can have if you have good credit and Amex deems you worthy (I do know people who have all four), and you spend $220,000 per year, you could actually bank 100,000 MQMs without stepping on a plane. Therefore, if you’re loyal to Delta and a big spender, this could be a no-brainer for you.
So Chris, don’t worry, those bonuses are still there! But if you want to rake in those MQM’s, you better be ready to spend.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees