This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying Blue, the mileage program of SkyTeam partners Air France, KLM and Air Europa, offers Promo Awards each month, through which you can book award flights for as little as 50% of the miles normally needed on certain routes and in specific cabins. While these awards used to be released every two months, Flying Blue now updates them each month instead. The list of awards you can book between September 1-31 for travel November 1-December 31 is now up on the Promo Awards page. Even though Air France is a partner of Delta, you can not book these awards with Delta SkyMiles.
The current list includes:
- Detroit to Europe on KLM: 50% off economy class – 12,500 miles each way, 25,000 miles round-trip, travel dates November 1-December 31.
- Mexico to Europe on Air France: 25% off economy class – 18,750 miles each way, 37,500 miles round-trip, travel dates November 1-December 31.
- New York (JFK) to Europe on Air France and KLM: 25% off economy class – 18,750 miles each way, 37,500 miles round-trip, travel dates November 5-December 18.
- Washington D.C. to Europe on Air France: 50% off premium economy – 25,000 miles each way, 50,000 miles round-trip, travel dates November 1-December 31.
A coach award from Detroit to Paris in November would cost 25,000 miles plus 259.70 in taxes in fees. To book these same flights outright would cost $1,311.92, so the redemption option offers 4.2 cents per mile in value, which is much greater than my most recent valuation of 1.3 cents apiece for Air France Flying Blue miles.
Stocking up on Flying Blue Miles
If you don’t have enough Flying Blue miles (or any at all), there are a few ways you can stock up on them relatively quickly. The program is an instant 1:1 transfer partner of Amex Membership Rewards, the program of cards like the Premier Rewards Gold Card and Platinum Card from American Express.
Flying Blue is also a 1:1 transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest, which offers a 5,000-mile bonus on transfers of 20,000 points. So at the Promo Awards rate, you could book a round-trip economy award ticket to Europe for just 20,000 SPG points. Just note that transfers can take a few days. The current sign-up bonus for both the personal and business Starwood Preferred Guest cards from American Express are 25,000 points when you spend $5,000 in 6 months. So even if you never fly Air France/KLM, or if you bank your SkyTeam miles elsewhere, there are still plenty of options to top up your account quickly using points you might already have.
Do you plan to book any of these awards? Let us know your thoughts and plans in the comments below.
The best sign-up bonus we've ever seen from the SPG Amex is here, for a limited time only. Earn up to 35,000 Starpoints which can be used for hotel redemption around the globe, transferred to over 30 airline partners, and even transfer from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Limited Time Offer- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees