This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi ThankYou Premier Card
Last month, Citi ramped up the value of their Thank You program by adding 8 new transfer partners, including Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. While most of these Asian/Middle Eastern frequent flyer programs are not as lucrative as programs based in North America, there are still great values to be had, as we wrote about in this follow-up post.
Today Citi announced that Flying Blue, the frequent flyer program of carriers Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways and TAROM) is now a 1:1 transfer partner. This new transfer partner is great for taking advantage of Flying Blue’s rotating reduced priced promo awards, and for redeeming for one-way Delta saver award flights. Flying Blue also allows a stopover and open jaw routing on roundtrip awards, so even if you have to pay fuel surcharges, you may be able to get well more than the standard 1 cent per point or less that Citi gives for ThankYou point redemptions.
Boosting Your ThankYou Points
You can only transfer points to airline partners if you have the Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi Prestige, and Citi Chairman cards. The Citi ThankYou Premier comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 ThankYou points: 20,000 after you spend $2,000 in the first three months of cardmembership, plus another 30,000 after spending $3,000 in the first three months of the second year of cardmembership. The annual fee of $125 is waived for the first year, but not the second.
Formerly, those 50,000 points were worth about $625 in travel. I now value ThankYou points at 1.5 cents a piece, meaning the Citi ThankYou Premier now offers at least $750 worth of value, 20% more than before these transfer options were available. The same could be said of points earned from other ThankYou Rewards cards, like the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card. Since ThankYou points can be combined between accounts, all the points you earn on other cards will also be eligible for transfer partners once you have the Premier, Prestige, or Chairman cards.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards