This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Johnny tweeted this week:
“@thepointsguy I’ve heard I can pay a fee to link my corporate amex to my personal MR account. Got any info or a link you can share?”
There’s nothing better than getting miles and points when your company pays for them. When I worked at Morgan Stanley, I was charging at times up to $100,000 a month for different events and on travel, earning points all the while.
Corporate American Express cards come in many different flavors. The one I had was a Green Corporate Amex, and I could pay $75 a year to enroll it in Membership Rewards and link it to my personal Membership Rewards card. Generally, all you have to do is call the number on the back of your card to see if you’re eligible. Some companies make deals with American Express to not allow their employees to earn points, and in exchange maybe they get better interest rates or accrue points into a central pool.
Other companies simply don’t allow their employees to earn points, because they worry that doing so will incentivize employees to spend more than they should just for the rewards. Hopefully there aren’t too many greedy people out there that would unethically charge their company more money to get a benefit for themselves, but I’m sure there are people out there who have done that.
Ultimately, you’ll have to call your corporate card administrator at the company, or just call American Express to see if you’re eligible. If you’re spending even a thousand dollars per month on your card, paying that $75 per year could make sense.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees