This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
No, you’re not having deja vu. Yesterday I announced that Starwood Preferred Guest is offering a 50% bonus on transfers to American Airlines AAdvantage miles for the month of July (instead of the usual 25% bonus). Now Starwood is offering that same bonus for transferring Starpoints to US Airways Dividend Miles. In both cases, no registration is necessary.
The promotion specifies a 20% bonus, but that 20% doesn’t include the built in 25% bonus that Starwood offers when transferring in blocks 20,000 points. If you plan it carefully, this means you can get a 50% bonus. For example, 20,000 Starpoints normally = 25,000 Dividend Miles; with this 20% bonus you’d end up with a bonus of 5,000 extra for a total of 30,000 Dividend Miles. There’s a max transfer of 79,999 Starpoints per day, so the most you’d want to transfer on a given day is 60,000 in order to maximize the 5,000 point built in SPG bonus.
60,000 Starpoints= 90,000 Dividend Miles, which (like the transfer to AAdvantage) is a solid deal if you know how to maximize it. US Airways actually has some advantages over American Airlines, such as better routing rules (though one way awards are not allowed), lower redemptions (such as transcontinental first class on AA itself), lower fees, and the amazing 110k business class awards to South Africa and Australia (while they last).
Note that SPG transfers can take over a week to process, but they usually go in weekly sweeps on Monday/Tuesday, so if you do it by Sunday, it usually only takes ~72 hours. American Airlines will let you hold award tickets if you call and place them on hold for up to 5 days, so while there may be a small window for error, you can take advantage of this promotion and hold award tickets if you time it correctly.
Key Terms & Conditions
– To qualify for this Dividend Miles bonus mile offer, you must initiate the mileage conversion with Starwood Preferred Guest between 12 AM (CST) July 1 and 11:59 PM (CST) July 31, 2014 (the ‘promotion period’), and be in good standing in the Dividend Miles program.
– You can convert multiple times during the promotion period.
-To earn the 20% conversion bonus, you must convert points from Starwood Preferred Guest. This offer is non-transferable and non-reversible.
-Bonus miles will be posted within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by Starwood Preferred Guest. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status qualification.
-Starwood Guest Preferred transfer to miles terms and conditions: Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of your Starpoints into Dividend Miles at a 1-to-1 ratio. And for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, you will earn 5,000 bonus Starpoints which will be automatically added to your transfer up to a maximum of 94,999 miles per eligible transfer.
-There is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum Preferred Guest members. Gold Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 1,500 Starpoints, and Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 2,500 Starpoints.
-Transfer maximums are based on a combination of member Starpoints and the Starwood Preferred Guest airline transfer transaction bonus. Only one airline transfer transaction per member per 24 hour period is allowed; multiple transfer transactions within the same 24 hour period will reject.
–Both the Starwood Preferred Guest and Dividend Miles account must have identical member names in order to complete this request; different names will cause the transfer to reject.
– Airline transfers are one-way, non-reversible, and non-refundable.
Hat tip One Mile at a Time
There’s no telling how much longer these cards will be around and available for new applications because of the Marriott takeover, so now might just be the perfect time to apply. Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees