This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last summer, Starwood launched a “Paradise is Closer” promotion for 35% off select resort free night redemptions, valid for bookings made through March 1, 2014. This offer has now been extended through March 3, 2015 for bookings made at select Starwood resorts.
Be aware that bookings through this offer can’t be made online – you have to call Starwood customer service. (The different phone numbers provided in the link depend on your elite status.)
The extended 35% Starpoint discount will still be valid at the following Starwood resorts:
W Retreat and Spa Maldives – 58,500 Starpoints a night (previously 90,000)
W Retreat Koh Samui, Thailand – 26,000 Starpoints a night (previously 40,000)
Le Meridien Bora Bora – 39,000 Starpoints a night (previously 60,000)
Pine Cliffs Residence (Luxury Collection), Albufeira, Portugal – 26,000 Starpoints a night (previously 40,000)
Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa (Luxury Collection), Dubai, UAE – 39,000 Starpoints a night (previously 60,000)
Vana Belle (Luxury Collection), Koh Samui, Thailand – 26,000 Starpoints a night (previously 40,000)
If you’re familiar with SPG redemption rates, you’ll notice that these rates are especially high. Since these participating resorts have only suites or villas, they’re regarded as “specialty” properties within the SPG program, and their award reservations are booked at double the Starpoint rate of a standard room redemption.
However, note that these resort redemptions are eligible for Starwood’s offer of the fifth night free on award bookings, effectively lowering the redemption cost by 20% for those who can swing the extra vacation time. For instance, if you book four nights at the W Retreat Koh Samui for 26,000 Starpoints per night and get the fifth night free, you’d spend an average 20,800 Starpoints per night, keeping your entire stay within the amount for a Category 6 free-night redemption.
The following video shows off the W Retreat Koh Samui, and has definitely piqued my interest:
I wish more Starwood resorts were participating in this promotion, but at least the ones available are impressive, desirable properties in places I’d actually like to visit. Basically, if you have a lot of Starpoints on your hands and an some extra vacation time to burn in a beautiful slice of the world, these redemptions could open the door to a great trip.
The best sign-up bonus we've ever seen from the SPG Amex is here, for a limited time only. Earn up to 35,000 Starpoints which can be used for hotel redemption around the globe, transferred to over 30 airline partners, and even transfer from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Limited Time Offer- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees