This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For those of you who are opting out of the 4th of July BBQ, a reminder that this is the first Friday of the month, which means you can earn 3x points on dining purchases with the Chase Sapphire or Sapphire Preferred cards. And thanks to the annual 7% points dividend on the Sapphire Preferred, earning 3x points really means earning 3.21x points per $1.
You don’t have to do anything special to earn the bonus, just use your card as you normally would at any business that’s coded as a dining establishment (restaurants, bars, and even coffee houses usually fit the bill), and the bonus will automatically be applied to your Ultimate Rewards account. The offer is good until 11:59 pm in whatever time zone you happen to be in.As always, you can double or triple dip by booking a reservation with OpenTable, or by using certificates from Restaurant.com.
Stack It With Dining Program Bonuses and Gift Cards
This first Friday you should also consider boosting your points earnings by setting yourself up for the 10,000 mile bonus offered by AAdvantage Dining (as well as United MileagePlus Dining). The bonus is earned when you make 10 dining purchases (of at least $40 each) at participating restaurants between now and August 15, 2014. If you have 4th of July plans already, you can buy gift cards from your local eateries for use at a later time. $40 gift card purchases will work to trigger the 10,000 mile dining program bonus, so if you don’t have plans to eat out 10 times during the promotion period, buy the gift cards on the first Friday to maximize your points and miles!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards