This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can save an extra 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
Thursday June 5, 2014: IHG Rewards Club Points
- 15,000 IHG Rewards points for $100, 2,500 available (.67 cents per point)
- 25,000 IHG Rewards points for $167, 2,000 available (.68 cents per point)
- 50,000 IHG Rewards points for $325, 1,250 available (.65 cents per point)
- 100,000 IHG Rewards points for $630, 1000 available (.63 cents per point)
Normally, the cost to purchase IHG Rewards points is:
- 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
- 11,000 – 25,000 points for $12.50 per 1,000 points
- 26,000 – 60,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points
It would typically cost $187.50 to purchase 15,000 points, $312.50 to purchase 25,000 points, $575 to purchase 50,000 points, and $1,150 to purchase 100,000 points. If you already have a plan for IHG Rewards points, this Daily Getaway deal offers great value, because the savings on points is around 45% (or over 50% if you can also get the Amex discount) and while there are other workarounds out there to buy points around .7 cents a piece, buying these packages is much easier and more legitimate. There are plenty of deals available, so your chances of snagging one are high. This exact same deal available was also available on Monday, May 26, 2014, so if you didn’t scoop one up then, this is your chance.
You can knock this deal out of the park by using your purchased points for hotels on the IHG PointBreaks list, which go for just 5,000 points per night! The new list for May 27 to July 31, 2014 just went live, and the best properties tend to go quickly, so book soon if you want to take advantage of the low redemption rates.
Booking a PointsBreaks hotels means you could stay for just $33 per night (or $30 per night with the Amex discount) if you purchased the 15,000 points package for $100 and booked three nights at 5,000 points each.
Some of my personal picks from the new list I wouldn’t mind trying are:
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Bangkok- Lumpini Park, Thailand
- Crowne Plaza Johannesburg-The Rosebank, South Africa
- Holiday Inn Resort Goa
- Holiday Inn Express Montreal Centre-Ville
- Holiday Inn Suva Fiji
The Crowne Plaza in Johannesburg costs just over $100 per night in June, so by using points purchased from the Daily Getaways and taking advantage of the PointBreaks rate for 5,000 per night ($30-$33), you’re really getting three nights for the price of one!
Overall this deal is worthwhile if you already have a plan to use the points, especially if you can use them on PointBreaks hotels. I value IHG points around 0.7 cents per point, which is barely above the asking price for these packages without the Amex discount, and still only a marginal savings with the discount. If you don’t already have a notion of where you’d use these points, you won’t get much value out of speculating and buying them now.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees